If you take a look at the most successful individuals both in your field and in different industries today, chances are that all of them have a few things in common. In addition to wealth, prestige and success, today’s most successful people often all have daily habits that only help fuel that success. Taking a look at some of the most common habits of successful people can help any person in virtually any market to learn some of the building blocks needed to be more successful.
Good Habits Lead to Highly Effective People
To put it simply, good habits can help you be more successful. In order for you to develop success-fostering habits, it is important to know first know what a habit truly is. Habits are not something that you “force” yourself to do. When something is truly habit (such as brushing your teeth) there is a trigger or psychological cue that tells your brain to go into autopilot and to start doing a certain behavior. There is a routine to the behavior.
We all know how hard it is to break bad behaviors, but that doesn’t mean that purposefully forming good habits is as easy as forming the habit of biting your nails. In order for something to truly become a habit you need to do it over and over again until your brain starts performing this behavior on its own. This can take weeks or even months.
However, when you have started truly forming good habits, you will find that you begin performing these actions without thinking. This means you have freed your brain up to focus on more important things. The right positive habits not only free up your brain, but they also help you to be more successful and more effective in your personal and professional endeavors.
Five of the Best Habits of Highly Successful People
If you want to start teaching your brain to adopt some of the best habits that most successful people also have, then it is important to look at some of the top habits that successful individuals incorporate into their everyday lives.
- Getting up early. Do it no matter what. This means getting plenty of rest and waking up with plenty of time to get yourself situated and get things done before the official workday starts.
- Maintaining a strong work/life balance. The most successful individuals are diligent at achieving that highly coveted idea of work/life balance. It allows them time to rest, recover and do the things that matter most to them. Part of this also includes the ever-elusive “alone time.” No matter how busy they are, all individuals need some time to themselves.
- The health benefits of exercise are too long to list. Ultimately, exercising helps keep your body alert and healthy, keeps your mind smart and teaches you the importance of hard work and discipline. Exercising daily can seem like a challenge, but it’s worth it.
- Making ‘to do’ lists. Successful people treat every day as a long ‘to do’ list of goals they have and things they want to accomplish, whether its securing a multi-million dollar deal or getting their oil changed. Visualizing an accomplishment is a great way to help you reach that goal. Make sure to prioritize the list.
- This doesn’t mean indulging in the latest trashy romance novel. Successful people tend to be habitual readers. In fact recent studies found that most wealthy people are avid readers. Focus on non-fiction works that can help benefit your professional endeavors. Make it a goal to spend at least 30 minutes a day reading.
How to Incorporate Habits of Effective People into Your Daily Life
If you are ready to start forming these “success habits” then be warned that the first few days are usually the most challenging. Many times by introducing a new positive habit into your life, you have to change your routine or pull yourself away from another less positive — but possibly more addicting — habit. Take your time and know that there may be setbacks, but if you work hard on making the choice to do these things, then they will become habits over time.
Many researchers believe it is best to change your habits when you are on vacation, or away from your home and your normal routine. This is because your brain naturally starts changing its way of habitually performing certain actions when you are away from your normal environment. It’s the reason that so many people feel as though they are finally able to sleep in when they are away from home.
Keep these tips in mind as you start polishing your daily routine. Include these effective habits into your life, and you will find yourself on the road to being a far more successful individual.
Image Credit: Flickr